Remember when I said that dyeing is an art form you almost can’t mess up? Yeah, that ‘almost’ kicked me right in the pants this week…..
I really like experimenting with dyeing. Trying interesting combinations often comes out with beautiful, interesting results. But experimenting is not without risks… Case in point:
This yarn was dyed with the leftover bits from yesterday’s dyeing session. It’s made up of various jewel tones, mixed with black and pops of white, and is dyed on my Glitter Sock base. (I won’t even tell you what I was going for…you’d laugh. Ha!) It’s definitely very interesting, and part of me kinda likes it. But, let’s be honest…it ain’t cute. I’m calling this my ‘Oops’ color way. 😛 (Thankfully, the other seven skeins I dyed yesterday turned out beautifully, with some *new* color-ways in the mix!)
Weird as it sounds, I’m kind of glad for this result. Hey, if you aren’t making mistakes, you aren’t learning…right? This will be a great lesson in over-dyeing and expanding my “color vision.” I’m gonna toss this one back in the pot today and over-dye with black. With the sparkle of the yarn, I actually have high hopes for the ultimate result. We’ll see!
So, now that we’ve discussed my newest “oops”, let’s talk about some things I’m loving this week.
What I’m stalking/buying…
- Really enjoying seeing all of the posts on the Commuter Knitter TLMYC Giveaway thread on Ravelry! It’s very informative to see the opinions of my (potential) buyers. [If you’re a CK listener and haven’t entered the giveaway yet, make sure to get your entry in before October 7!]
- Drooling over Bethany’s new Lopapeysa cardigan! (Bethany blogs over at prettylittlefiberco and always has the most amazing photos of her FOs.) I have anxiety just thinking about steeking, though, so a sweater like this will not be happening in my life anytime soon….
- Itching to cast on with my newest sock stash acquisition: It’s a Dead Man’s Party. (Yes, I have a separate stash for sock yarn…what of it?) Halloween, come to me.
- Thanks to the enabling of Ashley of NomadicYarns (ashiepoo22 on Instagram), this awesome Hocus Pocus t-shirt is now making its way to my house!
What I’m watching:
- CRIMINAL MINDS! How did I not know about this show before?! I’m hooked. Thank you, Netflix! (9 seasons streaming now!)
- Doctor Who — who else is SUPER terrified/excited for tonight’s episode?!
- Outlander…’nough said.
What I’m reading:
- Switching Time by Richard Baer. This is the thrilling, touching story of a woman who was abused so terribly as a child that she created 17 different personalities in order to cope. It’s entirely fascinating and I can’t put it down…
What have you been loving this week?